Are Millipedes Dangerous?
Millipedes are not venomous, but this doesn’t mean that you should handle them. While most millipedes do not bite, some larger millipedes will, and they are capable of delivering an acidic injection of venom created by glands behind their jaws. Their bite can be painful, but it is usually unnecessary to seek medical treatment unless you develop symptoms of an allergic reaction.
What To Do If You See Millipedes In Your Home
Thankfully, millipedes do not often enter a home unless they cannot find a suitable environment in which to live outdoors (i.e. when it is either too wet or too dry outside). However, if you do see a millipede in your home, be cautious. Millipedes can exhibit aggressive or defensive behavior, including the release of an acidic fluid. This fluid can burn and blister the skin, irritate eyes, and make a terrible odor. In fact, some millipede species can spray their acid several inches, so if you are sensitive to insect bites or venom, it is best to keep clear of them.
How To Get Rid Of Millipedes
Begin by identifying areas around your home that contain moist, decaying organic matter and remove as much of it as you can. Rake and remove grass clippings and leaves, clean up wood debris or old woodpiles, and take away rocks.
Next, eliminate from your home those areas where millipedes can enter. Caulk cracks around doors, windows, and in bathrooms and kitchens.
Professional Treatment For Getting Rid Of Millipedes
If you have a millipede problem, we can help. McCarthy Pest & Termite Control technicians understand how to properly treat for millipedes and keep them out of your home. We will search out the cracks and damp places in which they hide and eliminate these pests by applying a spray or powder treatment.